The University of Arkansas has discontinued both its men’s and women’s tennis programmes. Seventy-one years of history, gone in a press release. This is what the post-House settlement era looks like in practice.
The University of Arkansas announced on April 24 that it will discontinue both its men’s and women’s tennis programmes at the conclusion of the 2026 spring season. Seventy-one years of men’s tennis. Forty-six years of women’s tennis. Gone — with a press release and a declined comment from an athletics director attending a track meet.
AD Hunter Yurachek called it “a very difficult decision” reached after “considerable reflection and thoughtful discussion,” saying the department had concluded it was “unable to provide the level of support necessary for our tennis programmes to consistently compete in the SEC and nationally.”
That’s the diplomatic version. The financial version is more instructive.
Arkansas reported more than $2.6 million in combined expenses on tennis and just $9,556 in revenue in 2023-24. Against a backdrop of $195.8 million in total athletics revenues and $184 million in expenses, the tennis programmes represented a rounding error. But in the post-House settlement era, every rounding error is now on the table.
The Timing Is Everything
Arkansas becomes the first prominent college athletics programme to cut tennis in the NIL revenue-sharing era and in the post-House settlement environment. That distinction matters. This isn’t a mid-major trimming a budget. This is a power conference school in one of America’s flagship athletics departments making a deliberate statement about resource allocation priorities.
The message is clear: football and basketball will absorb the revenue-sharing dollars that the House settlement now mandates. Everything else must justify its existence in a way it never previously had to.
The $2.5 million combined budget will be “reinvested broadly across the Department of Athletics” — which in practice means it flows toward programmes competing for recruits in a marketplace now shaped by direct athlete compensation.
An Ugly Ending
The cruelty of the timing is hard to overstate. The men’s team made the NCAA Tournament despite the programme cut announcement, facing Cornell in the first round just days after the university confirmed it was axeing the programme. They lost 4-3. Their season — and their programme — ended in Fort Worth.
Alumni were not consulted. Former players described the announcement as “the cowardly way,” saying the university should have approached boosters about fundraising before making the call. “71 years of men’s tennis here, and it’s just a huge insult. 46 years of women’s tennis — to not even ask us for help,” said one prominent supporter.
Incoming recruits were caught entirely off guard. North Little Rock native Caroline Jones had committed to the programme in November. “You’re supposed to know what college you’re going to by this point,” she said. “Just kind of had the rug ripped out from underneath me.”
The Ripple Effect
Arkansas will not be alone for long. Since the Razorbacks announced their cuts, Saint Louis and North Dakota have announced they will cut both their men’s and women’s programmes, and Illinois State discontinued its men’s team. Over the past ten weeks, 18 schools across NCAA divisions have cut tennis programmes.
Arkansas will now be the only SEC member without a women’s tennis team, with Missouri already the only SEC member without a men’s programme. The conference is fragmenting at the edges — and the edges are where tennis has always lived in the American college sports ecosystem.
The sport has no television deal, no ticket revenue, and no NIL market to speak of. In the old world, that was survivable. In the new world, where every dollar an athletics department spends is measured against what it could have allocated to revenue-sharing, tennis is structurally vulnerable at schools where it isn’t a genuine competitive priority.
What This Means For The Business of Tennis
For brands, agents and equipment companies operating in the college pipeline: the talent displacement is real and it’s accelerating. Twenty-one Arkansas athletes — 11 men and 10 women — are now in or entering the transfer portal. Multiply that across 18 programmes cut in ten weeks and you have a significant number of scholarship players suddenly needing new homes, new sponsors, and new commercial relationships.
The college pathway for developing commercially viable players is narrowing. Fewer programmes means fewer development years, fewer exposure opportunities, and a smaller pool of players reaching the professional ranks with the kind of institutional backing that makes them attractive to brands.
Arkansas is the most visible cut so far. It will not be the last.
Baseplay covers the business of tennis — deals, governance, media rights, and commercial dynamics. Subscribe to The Baseline for weekly intelligence.